Write a short story related to the destruction of the Ancient Library of Alexandria
- Durum: Closed
- Ödül: $50
- Alınan Girdiler: 7
- Kazanan: Jkrown
Write a short story with next requeriments:
- should follow guidelines of wikipedia's definition of "short story" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story
- the extension is not really too important. It could be a little more short/long than a short story "should be", but it must be something that you can narrate from start to end without boring or tiring your listeners
- the story must be related to the Library of Alexandria destruction, or "around/part of that event"
- research before starting to think about what to write.
Learn about the story of the library, how/who/when/why built it and support it, how it's (in some ways) related to Alexander, etc.
- the year where to set the story is not too important, but there are documentation about the possible destruction since Caesar's time to muslim invasion time
- some texts suggests that the library were already nearly abandoned or it's splendor declined greatly before it's physical destruction. You can play with this, but physical destruction could give some action to the story.
I mean, you could think something like: "A group of students of the library keep secretly a set of manuscripts (whatever it's contents are). At some time, they escape to another library with them. Then, at the moment of the physical destruction, descendants of that students need to come back because they found that one super special super secret manuscript is still hidden in the library"
So that story could be about: how that descendants go through the battle, enter the library already on fire, and separate in groups to go to possibles hidden places. A group found the place, but instead of the manuscript, they found something else that produce a extrange event and all of them are killed. But the fire did not leave traces
- there is an old documental of Carl Sagan that speaks about the ancient library. Do not fall into the easy and exactly copy his hypothesis that: christians had set fire the library because of the pagan content and origin of the library, and that that initiate the Dark Ages
Despite of that, you could still use this idea as a reference
- could contain relations to any other ancient library
- must contain mix of suspense, folktale, legend and mythology genres
- it must sounds possible, even if it contains fantasy, science fiction, paranormal, etc. Like a myth or legend.
- H. P. Lovecraft short stories are a good reference of the type of story to write.
Also, some creepypasta stories could be also used as reference
Plus, check our past contests to check the winner story and what we expect.
- readers target: adolescents, young adults and any person 17 years and older that could understand english language
- should be narrable out loud
- no sexual content
- no abusive, obscene nor bad language
- no abbreviations
- no too specific country's words
- no grammatical, spelling, syntactic or semantic errors
- content related to love or romance should be minimal or zero
ADVISE: you could send an outline/summary/guideline of the story before starting to write it. The discard of an idea of story that we don't like, gives you time to start another one. Must be only a few lines of the idea, nothing formal. Even you could include a graphical explanation or some internet images.
WARNING: entries with spam, copypaste from anywhere or not an original new story will be directly rejected and reported.
NOTICE: we will own the copyright of the winner story. The author's name will be included anywhere we use it.
After the contest' deadline, winner will be selected by originality and quality, even if some of the above requirements aren't totally fulfillment.
You have a month, be creative!