You should choose an industry or sector (commercial or public) with sufficient ‘substance' to support the analysis and discussion required (see below). The report should be in ‘business style' and should address the following:
• An analysis of the industry chosen, the products and services offered, market concentration and competition within the industry as well as market size and key players.
• A critical analysis of the ways in which Knowledge Management is practised within the industry (that may include: use of intellectual capital, the learning environment, knowledge sharing and culture, strategy and solutions, etc) including its impact(s). YOU SELECT THE ASPECT(S) OF KM, as long as the industry/sector chosen supports it. Uses of IT should be demonstrated throughout using schematics, diagrams, etc.
• A strategy for the development of the future uses of KM within the industry/sector, including a discussion of the ‘now' and ‘then' positions mentioning any ‘gaps' that need to be closed (e.g. learning, culture, technology, structure) to reach a future KM position within the industry/sector.
The coursework addresses learning outcomes:
1. Delineate knowledge typologies, and evaluate effective knowledge management strategies adopted in a range of organisations;
2. Critically assess the various technologies associated with knowledge management, innovation and creativity 'solutions' to organisational problems/opportunities;
3. Develop a strategy for managing knowledge, innovation and creativity in business organisations.