Orientalism and Heart of Darkness
In Knowing the Oriental ( [url removed, login to view] ), Edward Said analyzes an attitude he calls “orientalism”. Then, in Rule of Darkness: British Literature and Imperialism, 1830-1914, Patrick Brantlinger applies this concept to the novel Heart of Darkness
In two to three pages (excluding title and reference pages), discuss the application of orientalism to Conrad’s novel. First, explain in your own words what Said means by orientalism and why he finds it problematic. Then, apply this concept to Heart of Darkness.
In what ways does Conrad reflect the British attitude of orientalism toward Africa in Heart of Darkness and in what ways does he challenge such attitudes? Be sure to cite specific passages from the texts to support your interpretation.
1) Be 2-3 pages, double-spaced, not including title page or works cited page
2) Use MLA citation and format (title page, works cited, etc)
3) Use at least 1 primary and 1 secondary source
4) Include a clear, arguable thesis and show mastery of basic writing skills and grammar
5) Be submitted in one of the acceptable file formats (.doc, .docx, .rtf)
26 freelancer bu iş için ortalamada 56$ teklif veriyor
Experienced and accomplished academic writer holding M.Phil and impeccable writing skills at your service. Please contact for quality and result oriented services. Regards