construction of a concrete footing
for a major piece of equipment in
a processing plant.
Additional information and
frequently asked questions (FAQ)
have been included in the second
Quantity measurement and units
to be in accordance with AS
Information to plan a project comes in many forms. For instance, it may be in the form of
all inclusive (or all up) hours per m3 concrete. That type of rate would include the total
hours of labour to place reinforcement and concrete (e.g. steel fixing, pouring and
finishing concrete etc.).
In assessing the number of hours required to perform a task you need to calculate the
production rate for a crew and then multiply by the number of crew (and in pricing by
each paid labour rate) to calculate the work hours for the activity.
If a concrete pump capacity is 50 m3
/hr and the pour size is 475 m3
Then it takes 9.5 hours to pour the concrete.
For a crew of 4 labourers the work hours are 9.5 x 4 = 38 work hours
Similarly we need to set up team or crew structures for formwork or any other task
involving both labour and material.
You are the project engineer responsible for constructing the concrete footing for a major
piece of equipment in a process plant:
Width 6 m
Length 10 m
Depth 1.8 m
Underside of footing (top of blinding) is 1.5 m below existing ground level
▪ 50mm of blinding concrete (to trim and level base of foundation and provide clean
working area for trades to erect formwork and fix reinforcement)
▪ After 2 days curing of the blinding concrete pedestrian access and erection of
formwork on can commence
▪ 1.2 m of working space around the footing and a 45o batter to the earth sides
▪ Formwork is required on each of the vertical faces of the footing
▪ Reinforcement is approx. 140 kg / m3 of concrete
▪ Allow for 25% bulking of excavated material
▪ Formwork to remain in place for 7 days after concrete pour for concrete to part cure
▪ After stripping formwork, backfill to existing level in 300mm layers
▪ The concrete for the footing must be poured in a single pour.
For the purposes of this exercise ignore any requirements for heat dissipation
during such a large continuous mass concrete pour.
You have the following plant available:
• 20T excavator with 0.9m3 bucket that can excavate this material at 40 m3 per hour
and will need an operator and a labourer to trim the excavation.
• Sufficient trucks to keep up with the excavator
• Vibrating plate compactor that can compact fill material (to 100% modified
compaction) at the rate of 20 m3
/hour delivery and spreading by the 20T excavator.
• A concrete pump with a capacity of 25 m3
What You Need to Do:
1. Define the activities required to construct and backfill around the footing.
2. Calculate the quantities of work for each activity. Use units of measure as specified in
AS1181-1982 Method of Measurement of Civil Engineering Works etc. (available online through Swinburne Library).
3. Determine the work hours required to complete each activity. Note that any activity
must have a minimum of two for safety, with typically 4 to 6 workers in a crew
Bu iş için 16 freelancer ortalamada ₹188/saat teklif veriyor
Hello I have civil team to work on project if you are given to this opportunity so you will be 100% satisfied your project . My team is professional certified from USA and France .
Structural design engineer Relevant Skills and Experience Etabs and staad pro analysis and design software's AutoCAD and revit structure detailing software's M S Excel calculation
Hi, i have been as estimator for concrete, footings and formworks for slabs, beams, wall, etc, to high rise buildings. if you want my job sample just let me know a