We'd like a simple sound recording software that does the following:
1) Records any sounds sent through the user's mic
2) Allows the user to store the original, uncompressed recording as a wav file on the local computer (sound should be of the highest quality)
3) Automatically triggers the user's default email software (Eudora, Outlook Express etc), creates a new email and attaches a MP3/compressed-version of the original recording to the email
4) Includes a short, pre-written message in the email body
The application should:
1) Allow previous wav recordings to be opened and extra "recording" time added at the end of the file and then the user may
continue from step 2 (as above).
2) Show a little progress bar & "current place indicator" (just like in any media player) that allows the user to "scroll" (by dragging the indicator) to a certain part of the recording and replay or start recording from that section i.e. the rest of the recording will be overwritten.
3) Allow adjustment of the volume of the mic / speakers.
4) Allow the user to be able to navigate through the entire software via keyboard only i.e. no mouse clicks necessary. This can be accomplished by keyboard-shortcuts like F2 to start a Recording, F3 to Stop etc.
5) Keep a list of the recordings that have been stored on the computer so that the user doesn't have to browse for the wav file unless necessary.
We'll also like to include a simple "unlock" system when the software is installed on the computer. It's just a matter of a simple HTTP POST. A brief run-through:
1) When the software is started, if a registry key with an unlock code does not exist, it should request for an Unlock Code from the user.
2) The software connects to the remote MySQL database and checks to see if reg code listed in the database and if "status" is "VALID"
3) If valid, update the MySQL record to "USED" and allow the user to proceed as well as store a copy of the code on the user's computer (probably in a registry key). We have a web developer here so, if you need help on this, we can work the updation system out.
4) After unlocking, under the "About" box of the software, the Unlock Code will be shown and there will be a button called "Lock Software", in which case it'll send the same code to the MySQL server, delete the registry key from the local computer (that stores the Unlock Code) and then shut down the software.
5) If the reg code has already been used, do not allow installation and show a message instructing the user to contact the company with his full details (we'll provide the exact message).
We'll provide a sample "story board" of how the software should look and flow + the graphics & color scheme.
One additional thing that we're looking at is having a small textbox in the software that displays a piece of text retrieved from a remote server and, when clicked, opens the user's default web-browser and takes him to a URL (that the remote server will also pass).
The main operating system for the software to run on would be MS Windows 98/2000/XP however, we would like to make it able to run on Linux (either now or in the near future) so a portable language like C/C++/Java would be ideal although Visual Basic bids will be considered.
The software is required in the shortest time possible. We'd prefer experienced developers who have worked on voice/audio applications before but are open to those who know they can do this.
One of the software's priorities is for it to look clean and user-friendly.. if it looks just like the storyboard then that would be exactly what we need :)
We'll also need the copyright & code released to us.