I recently got an android phone (Sprint EVO running Android 2.1) and am having difficulty with the available calendar widgets on the android market. My wife and I are competitive ballroom dancers and travel extensively. We're very dependent on the month view we have available on our treo (Palm 5.0) running a calendar app called Datebk6.0 ([url removed, login to view]) to quickly determine when we're traveling for our regular jobs (briefcase), on the road for another reason (airplanes), at home, at a competition or coaching session (red dancers), dance events we're not attending but want to keep on calendar (blue dancers), etc. None of the Android calendar apps we've found available in the market offer a cleanly visible month view widget with icons. As you can see these icons are very large and clear. There is also a side application that allows us to create and add new icons to the available list or edit existing icons (obviously the icon library is stored locally).
The only app I've found that does anything similar to this is in the android market and is called iRT Calendar, but it's calendar view with icons is pretty fuzzy and poor and the icons are too small ([url removed, login to view]). The google calendar has added an icon function via the labs which is nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't extend to the android calendar on the phone.
I need (at a minimum) a month-view calendar widget that displays up to 3 to 4 icons in a day block. If more icons are assigned to events on a day, it can limit display to the first three.
1. Possess an icon repository - required
2. Icons are added to Android calendar events and show up on the stock month-view or at minimum on a custom month-view widget - required
3. Ability to add to icon repository or edit existing icons (optional)
4. I would own IP and can sell app/widget through the Android market. I have no sense of how complex an effort this is. If the price range I've listed is not realistic, tell me what you would need. If it's too rich I'll either bail on the idea and wait for someone else to come up with it (there's a lot of people asking for this on the discussion boards/blogs). People are generally frustrated with the Android calendaring capability and have indicated they would pay up to $30/download for an improved calendar application in the android market. If you'd be interested in cutting a deal on the development in exchange for owning the IP, propose the deal.
Attached is an image of the icon editor produced/licensed by pimlicosoftware.com. Looks like the download links are broken, but it's a pretty basic app, just adding colors to a grid to create an icon. That's how I created the blue and red dancer icons on our calendar.
Please specify in the information you send along with your bid whether your bid's scope assumes:
1) Building merely a month-view calender widget along with some modification to the existing google event element to incorporate adding an icon.
2) Creating a full android calendering app with a new event element, day, agenda, week, month views and a home page month-view widget.
My preference is #1, if modifying the existing google event element is possible. I would not need the icon to be visible on any of the existing google calendar views. Only on the month-view widget