This is a software that conducts image analysis on about 100,000 images, where the software identifies a special object in each image and measures its properties. The software is complete and needs to be migrated and generalized to new cases. Currently we are looking into re-producing old results and adding some new output possibilities to the software.
You need to know C programming, shell programming, Linux and some basics of data analysis. On the matter of data analysis you will be guided by me, so as far as you are able to follow through, you are fine.
The project is made of the following phases. Phase 1 will be your test. if you hand this part on time you will be granted the rest of the project.
1. Optimization of a certain number of functions in a C code
2. Altering the automation scripts to run the software with a certain parameters and compare with old results.
3. Alter the source code to output new measurements.
4. Repeat step (2) for another set of input parameters
5. Analysis of data output by step (4).
6. Alter the script to conduct a post-analysis per run.
7. Catalog creation
*** IMPORTANT ***
Once every phase is complete, the code will run on our platform to create new results to move to the new phase. In this sense there is a dependency between phases and a lag between the end of one phase and the start of the next phase.
Ideally you can finish all these phases in two months, but you won't need to be working everyday. My expectation is that you will need to spend 50-100 hours on the whole thing disperses in two to four months, dependent on your experience level and your style of communication -- we need to work closely with each other and meet every other day since the job entails managing a code which is written by someone other than you.