I have an approximately 6 in. x 6 in. x 1 in. composite block constructed of stacked up 15 or so of plies. It needs to be done with the Advanced Simulation Module of NX6.
(1) The existing composite block design model is constructed of ply-by-ply model using NX4. (There are a few holes on the block.) These plies are needed to be operated using union so that the composite block becomes a single solid entity consisted of the bottom surface and the top surface of the composite. The sides of the newly created solid are, of course, the union of the cross sections of plies of the composite.
(2) Once completed union operation, the solid model is now a single solid entity boundes by the top and bottom surfaces of the original composite. And the sides of the solid surfaces are, of course, the union of the ply crosections.
(3) Using the Advanced Simulation Module of NX6, the solid is meshed for finite element (ANSYS) analysis.
(4) Effective material properties will be provided.
(5) Produce Advanced Simulation output to feed it to ANSYS.