MT319: ASSIGNMENT – SPREADSHEET MODEL DEVELOPMENT
The purpose of this assignment is to design, document and develop a spreadsheet model. There are two parts to this assignment.
Part 1 is to produce a word document that contains the necessary information to develop the model.
Part 2 is the excel spreadsheet model itself.
You can choose your own idea for the spreadsheet model. This idea must enable you to develop a model that complies with the details outlined below.
The project you choose should reflect a real life scenario, the word document must be written in a manner that would convince the stakeholders (managers) to use this model.
PART 1: DETAILS
Part 1 states the objective(s) and scope of the model, specifies the model contents and contains a plan for the design and test of the model.
The assignment should be written along the guidelines that we have covered in class.
The document should be written in a professional manner that would convince senior management (or your direct manager) to use this model.
Your specification, design and test should ensure that the subsequent development and delivery of the model can be readily implemented by you or someone who is previously unfamiliar with the project.
There should be no more than 2000 words (excluding relevant diagrams and tables) in the body of the word document. Reference material should be in the Appendix (if it is necessary to include data sets, test results etc)
PART 2: DETAILS
Part 2 is the developed working spreadsheet model and the associated documentation.
This will be a working excel file that includes relevant comments and a documentation sheet.
The model should be presented professionally.
The criteria for success in this assignment are:
1. Spreadsheet model specification and development should be well designed, following the recommended guidelines.
2. The word document should be written in such a manner that the spreadsheet can be readily implemented by you or someone who is previously unfamiliar with the project.
3. The model requirements should be captured by:
a. Identifying the problem or defining a requirement
b. Defining the outputs and how they can be calculated or produced
c. Defining the data required
d. Identifying the source of the data
4. The word document should include details of the functionality of the spreadsheet, the design and layout and how you propose to test it.
5. The model implementation should include at least the following;
a. Decision Making Analysis
b. Excel functions such as
• Vlookup and If
• Mathematical and Logical Functions (such as Sum, Average)
• Pivot Tables
• Charts and Graphs
• Appropriate filtering and formatting
• Multiple Worksheets
6. The model documentation should demonstrate
a. How the model can be used for decision making and\or optimisation
b. Planned Upkeep
7. Spreadsheet development and layout must be along the best practice guidelines
8. The model should be original and the documentation should include references to all source material.
MARKING AND DATES
Assignment Deliverable Marks Due Date
Part 1 Spreadsheet Model Development Word Document 20% 28th April 2013
Part 2 Excel Spreadsheet 30% 28th April 2013
Marks will be deducted for non compliance with the specified criteria. This includes lack of professionalism and lack of adherence to best practice guidelines.
Marks will be added on for innovative projects.