OVERALL APPLICATION DESCRIPTION
The application is an online quiz game. The quiz game application will have cartoon like graphics and some sound please see the example at Jellyvision ([url removed, login to view]) how the questions are animated, look also look at the demos (the Music Discovery example) to see more examples of how the questions are animated.
The quiz game application will be developed in Flash and the questions and configuration will be read via XML.
QUIZ STRUCTURE AND XML FILES OVERVIEW
The quiz game will consist of several sections. The sections are as follows:
1) Five quick easy warm-up questions
2) Ten General Knowledge questions
3) Five Themed Questions (music, history etc)
4) Ten more General Knowledge questions - double points
5) Connections - answer five General Knowledge questions then name the connection (for bonus points). “Connections” is really six multiple choice questions.
All of the sections will have a different look. The “looks” are basically different animation and cartoon like font for the questions.
The sections, questions, settings etc will be read various XML files. The [url removed, login to view] contains the section and questions etc, the [url removed, login to view] file is a small configuration file (not currently relevant for this project), there is also a [url removed, login to view] file which should contain most of the other text to be displayed in the assessment for example any instructions or button labels etc.
There is a more detailed description of the current [url removed, login to view] file, [url removed, login to view] file (configuration file) and the [url removed, login to view] file at the end of this document.
WORK ALREADY DONE
A large part of the ActionScript and other Flash work has already been done for a similar application, although changes and additions will be necessary. The work already done includes of reading the XML files and making the data available to the ActionScript and Flash Movie. Also navigating through the quiz and scoring of the quiz. Some other work has been done in randomizing the questions and multiple choice options etc and navigating through the quiz.
There has been no work done with regards to the graphics except the production of three Photoshop static PSD images. These static images show a man that should be animated, this is the man who is asking the questions (Quiz Master - the only character in the Flash quiz). These images show the main asking a question, when the user gets a question correct and when the user gets the question incorrect.
Files showing the work already done can be sent on request.
IMPORTANT POINTS (work to be done)
The points below describe the important points with regards to the development of the quiz game. A high standard of work will be expected.
1) Tidy and properly comment the existing ActionScript and use more descriptive variable names. There may be unknown bugs in the code.
2) Amend existing Flash and ActionScript to be more suited to this particular application.
3) Produce lively and creative animations for the quiz (the animations should include the man provided in the static PSD files). The questions should look like the examples at Jellyvision. Before commencing with the actual production of Flash animation work an example should be shown (in any way that is convenient) to give an idea of what will be done (a storyboard), this should save time when it comes to the actual production of Flash animations.
4) There is currently no time limitation per question this should be added. The user should also be warned when they are about to run out of time to answer a particular question. There is a “TimeAllowed” property in the [url removed, login to view], this currently controls the time allowed to finish the assessment. This should be moved to the section level and should control the time allowed to answer each question in the section.
5) The user should be given immediate feedback i.e. told whether the answer provided was correct, if the answer provided was not correct the user should be presented with the correct answer and possibly an explanation (the explanation is read from the [url removed, login to view] file).