We have some problems with our live shared whiteboard and would love some help with #1, identifying the correct solution and #2, implementing the solution.
Specifically, we have a live shared whiteboard built in NodeJS, HTML5, and Flash (for audio/video), which allows a broadcaster and multiple participants to join and communicate. There is a two-way audio/video setup built in Flash, as well as the regular whiteboard tools built with NodeJS. We are having problems with the audio/video setup.
We had two instances recently where there were severe problems:
1) Tutoring Session between student & tutor
- Khaldoon (the student) had his first whiteboard session with us but couldn't get his audio/video to work.
- Khaldoon could hear/see Jodie (the tutor), but Jodie couldn't see Khaldoon on the student list ([url removed, login to view])
- This was *not* resolved when Khaldoon refreshed the whiteboard
- This *was* resolved when Jodie refreshed the whiteboard (and Khaldoon refreshed afterwards)
- After all of this, Jodie could connect with Khaldoon through the student list and the whiteboard & audio/video worked flawlessly
- After about 10 minutes, Khaldoon's flash crashed and could no longer see/hear Jodie
- This problem persisted even after Khaldoon restarted his browser (Chrome on Windows)
- Due to technical problems, we cut the session short and I went on to test with Khaldoon in a newly setup whiteboard room
- However, when we were testing, Khaldoon couldn't even get onto the whiteboard at all (it gets stuck on the 'notifying tutors' screen) even after restarting his computer.
- On my end, I see a consistent string of Khaldoon 'disconnecting' while he is trying to get onto the whiteboard even without refreshing.
- We gave up after that :(
2) Testing between another tutor and student
- Deidre (the tutor) tried to do a tutoring session with her student
- At the beginning, the student just couldn't get onto the whiteboard in the same way as Khaldoon had experienced.
- After a while, the student was then able to get onto the whiteboard, but again, in the same way as Khaldoon had experienced, couldn't broadcast his audio/video.
We are re-initiating our live sessions this coming Monday, and would LOVE to find a solution before then!
We could possibly switch entirely to WebRTC before then (and ask all parties to only use Google Chrome), or find the underlying problem to this audio/video issue.