Context - The Why
I want to build and ship products. I currently work as a product manager at a tech company but hate the fact that I cannot build the products I conceptualise. Also, I identify more with my developer friends than with my business friends. So, I want to learn how to build tech products to help me in 2 ways:
- Build products from scratch
- Have greater empathy for the dev team and their challenges.
I have tried Youtube based or Udemy based course approaches, but the standardisation there does not sit well with me. Also, having a coach/guide to give me feedback over short intervals is something that I have found works with me as a learning method.
Scope - The What
The scope of this engagement will be teaching me the following skills by building:
- HTML + CSS basics with a milestone project that would include the basics of Git and Figma. I have very limited skills in HTML & CSS, but have some experience with it.
- Nodejs + Express
- React or any other great library to make the most amazing UI/UX.
- Final capstone project - Design, develop and ship an awesome and sophisticated product that we can come up with! The project should be a sophisticated use of all the acquired skills. I am a product manager, so we can even come up with a product that we can take to market!
Process - The How
I am happy to take any approach that you deem fit. But there are a few values I would not want to compromise on:
- I want to learn by doing and building. The more projects and code reviews the better.
- I want to focus on smart work, where the tutor can help me identify the best resources and the useful sections in those resources rather than just go through courses after courses.
- The key job of the tutor will be to structure the most efficient curriculum, identify resources that I need to learn from and most critically-- code reviews. I am OK with the tutor simply giving me resources to self-learn and then spending 1-1 time reviewing my code and syntax, making sure I don’t write shit code.
- Give me challenging projects (maybe even ones you have worked on, or let me do your grunt work:P ) and review my work and code, to make it production quality.
- I can dedicate 2-3 hours a day to learning + coding (this can be bundled as Wednesday/Friday call), with 7-8 hours on each of the weekends.
- Our project can last up to Jan 2022.
- I approximate 30-50 hours per month to be spent on code review and live to tutor. As I said, I would prefer the time to be utilised with bi-weekly code review meetings and me working with minimal oversight over the weekend.
The developer profile
- As long as you have shipped great projects, and can teach others to do the same age/nationality/timings should not be a problem :)
- I have managed and shipped products with ~4million monthly active users, so if you need someone to help you with scoping projects/products, writing the business plans or product requirement documentation or even a go-to-market strategy, I would be more than happy to guide you!
- Do share your past work along with the application