The essay topic is as follows:
“While marketers do their best to imbue brands with positive, motivating values and associations,
marketers do not decide a brand's ultimate meaning. Consumers do – and sometimes they find
relevance, purpose and significance that the brand's creators may not have seen or intended.
DISCUSS”. – Dorothy Fitch, global analyst, Millward Brown
Include theories pertaining to: Consumer perception, brand recognition and identity, behavioral learning theories, personality and self concept, Consumer attitudes – development and change, and social influences of brand. Use examples in the essay.
This is an essay based on scholarly journal article research, theory and critical evaluation/synthesis (not
mere description). You must support your answer with a minimum of 7 journal articles (can be peer
reviewed or otherwise but must be from sources classified as Journals). The essays upper word limit is
2,500 words. Minimum word limit is 2,000 words. The upper word limit is strict. NB. The word limit does not
include; title page/cover page, sub-headings, reference list (it does include in-text citations), appendix.
• A minimum of 7 journal articles. Penalty of 20/100 marks applied if this criteria is not met.
• Full Harvard author-date referencing is required (in-text citations, and reference list).
• Exceeding the upper word limit will lead to a deduction of 10/100 marks.
• No extensions will be granted. Students who have not submitted the task prior to the
deadline will be awarded a mark of 0 for the task.
• Will have to submit softcopy to the plagiarism detection system ‘Turnitin’ before the deadline
Please note the following:
• Essay should be formatted as follows; size 12 times new roman font, 1.5 line spacing, regular
margins, headings in capitals and bold, sub-headings in upper and lower case and bold italics.
• Essays will be marked electronically on Turnitin.