Currently my buddy zone social networking site allows people to upload pictures. The upload script doesn't work very well.
One out of 50 members upload pictures and they are completely black. I've had programmers on scriptlance tell me to change hosts and that didn't fix the problem. If I have a user send the original image to me it opens fine.
If pictures are larger than 500k the system says ERROR. Instead the system should reduce the resolution automatically and resize the image to a max width/height and at the same time reduce resolution or image quality in order to reduce file size.
The naming convention may have a problem as rarely I'll see an X instead of the image. Also sometimes you'll see a thumbnail and click the thumbnail only to be shown a different picture. Obviously this isn't correct.
So to summarize what I need:
1. Allow members to upload pics larger than 500k but system should resize similar to websites like craigs list. Many people don't know how to resize an image to meet the 500k limit.
2. The black image problem should be fixed when all new code is introduced for the image upload script.
3. Ensure naming convention is 100% and doesn't produce an X instead of a picture and thumbnails don't lead to incorrect images.
Also since this is a high traffic social network, it may be wise to create thumbnails at the time of upload to reduce processing when hundreds of thumbnails are being downloaded every minute.
On the other hand, if a user has a private profile meaning only friends can view their profile and picture gallery, a non-friend shouldn't be able to type in the users URL to the image to see it. What I mean is if I right click on an image and see the URL of the photo which is something like this /user_images/[url removed, login to view] then if they become blocked or if the gallery is private and the viewer is not a friend they should not be able to enter the image url to see the image. I imagine the only way to safeguard this is to get rid of static urls and replace with dynamic.
I hope you understand what I am asking for.
1. Stop black images by writing all new bug free code.
2. Resize pictures uploaded to reduce file size and allow larger than 500k and destroy original large file.
3. Thumbnails can be static, whereas full size pics should be dynamic so only authorized viewers can view images.
4. Fix naming convention to avoid rare missing images and to stop the rare thumbnail pointing to a different image.
I believe the previous programmer must have changed the photo naming convention to use the members member_id# as the prefix to the image file name. I should not really ever see an X instead of an image because either image should be valid or not, if not then the url of a non-existent image should not be stored obviously.