A very simple database application with a modern frontend GUI (menus, options, buttons). Something similar to Customer Database Pro found at [url removed, login to view] but does not look as old. Preferably done using C/C++. Don't mind it being done in Java/VB/.NET but I don't like the dependencies (JVM, DLLs, frameworks). As I mentioned, I'm not too bothered about it as long as it works as expected and is self-contained. Supported operating system will be only Windows (WinXP and Win7). No need for 64-bit build, but should run on 64-bit (as 32-bit). The main features to be added/included are outlined below.
1.1 URGENT/MANDATORY FEATURES (order is indicative of importance - not exact though)
- User details database (obviously): The main feature of the application will be to create a user/customer database to store user details. Type of database is not important, FoxPro, Access, whatever is easiest. Application must be self-contained, i.e. does not require Access or some other DB to be installed. Enter user details through GUI and save to DB.
- Arabic interface: menus, options, input, right to left (translations can be provided, can use google translate if need to get started, corrections will be outlined). Should be able to switch between English and Arabic languages. Maybe read menu/interface names from UTF8 files and set right-to-left option through button or in options.
- Modern GUI: standard GUI with buttons and menus to access, manipulate, modify, search database.
- Password protection: High security required. Ability to define and verify against multiple passwords would be ideal.
- Search by fields in table, e.g. name, city, entity, group, country, work, telephone, date of birth, email, mother's name (remember these will be in Arabic).
- Gallery tab: Ability to add and view miltiple photos for a user/record.
- Customer photo: Ability to set one of the photos as the default photo to show on the customer record's profile. Can be marked as the main photo through the new gallery tab (right-click or something). Could also just make the first in the list photo the default photo - whatever is easiest.
- File a report: Ability to report an issue. Will be a simple form that will allow reporting issues and adding them to a separate reports database.
- User relationship map: This may be the most complicated part. May need to use some graphical features here. Ability to drag and drop users from the database into a blank canvas and link them - similar to Access's relationship map feature, except this will be for records in a table (users in this case), rather than tables. Ability to list all users related to the current/specified user. A simple column or rel can be used to determine and define/store this.
1.2 LESS URGENT FEATURES (can be left until last - may be dropped if too much work)
- User linking: If one user is mentioned in a description it should link back to that user in the database if that user exists, can have certain syntax in the description to parse this, kind of like bb tags on forums - easiest way possible will be fine, not pushed about specifics.
- PDF export: PDF export button/menu item. Ability to specify cover page for all generated PDF files through options dialog.
- Font selection: Required fonts can be provided. This feature would allow the user to change the font of the whole interface and the data entered (separately) through an options menu item.
- Tab Ribbon: Tab ribbon interface instead of old-style menus.
I will require future maintenance/improvements and bug fixes as they are found. Hopefully this won't be much work, but you should be available for it once you accept the project. Obviously the future work will be billed separately and we can discuss that later.
Deadline is 8/7/2011. I'm hoping this will be enough for most of the functionality. Less urgent and harder features can go past this deadline if required.
- Good responses and communication is essential
- Using Skype, Yahoo messenger, MSN, or simply email is enough
- A daily report on progress (3-5 lines is enough) is required
- Some screenshots/ working prototypes whenever they are ready; would require these after first week.
- Paypal would be a good option for me.
- Can discuss other options later.
- Any features identified later will be billed accordingly.
- Any extra work will be duly rewarded.
You must be reliable and have previous projects/experience listed on your profile which I can review.