Single Chip Video Controller Software and Hardware project
The software goal of this project is to develop software for an Atmel AVRMega chip so that it can be used as a single chip video controller. This controller could then be for used with embedded microprocessors such as the Parallax Basic Stamp or Microchip PIC. No external memory is to be used.
The hardware goal is to send me a working circuit with the chip so that I can verify that it actually runs.
The features are listed below:
1. Minimum external components required. Not sure if an internal oscillator is stable enough. May require additional crystal and cap.
2. Monochrome VGA output
3. Monochrome Composite output using 3 additional resistors
4. Output type (VGA or NTSC Composite) is selected by tying a mode select pin either high or low.
5. Serial Interface for communication with microprocessor (Basic Stamp, PIC) (RS232, I2C or SPI? not sure, open to suggestions)
6. Graphics Mode is bitmapped 160x80 (if possible). 1600 bytes of memory are used. Each pixel on screen is represented by 1 bit in ram.
7. Commands are sent to the serial port as bytes.
8. Command to set pixel can be sent from the host
9. Command to clear pixel
10. Command to clear screen
11. Command to write character from built in 8x8 character set to x, y location on the screen
12. Chip runs in demo mode if a input pin if demo mode pin is pulled with low or high (Not sure which is best) Demo mode set characters on the screen so that one can test if a chip works.
1) Complete and fully-functional working program(s) in executable form as well as complete source code of all work done. Hardware deliverable is a working prototype circuit (breadboard or whatever) to demonstrate the working chip. I must be able to plug the output from the circuit into a US compatable NTSC Composite input and see output.
2) Deliverables must be in ready-to-run condition, as follows (depending on the nature of the deliverables):
a) For web sites or other server-side deliverables intended to only ever exist in one place in the Buyer's environment--Deliverables must be installed by the Seller in ready-to-run condition in the Buyer's environment.
b) For all others including desktop software or software the buyer intends to distribute: A software installation package that will install the software in ready-to-run condition on the platform(s) specified in this bid request.
3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement).
Atmel AVRMega Processor. Open to suggestions as to which one to use.