I developed my own community script, which grew over the years to the current point of > 25000 users.
To be able to step back from developing every tiny bit myself, I am considering jumping ships now.
Therefor the project is:
Set up a solid open source system that is capable of all the current functionality and import all the current data afterwards.
From what I evaluated over the last years I think drupal might just be the best option for that.
The software that needs to be replaced is a social network in very many details similar to facebook but content and people wise a niche product.
The main difference is, that we emphasize the dating aspect und the music aspect in our community.
Think of it as a mixture between an online music magazine, a dating website and facebook and you are pretty much where we want to see us.
Feel free to have a look yourself, but beware language is just german (for now) -> [url removed, login to view]
The current most used features are:
- user profiles with: photogalleries, guestbooks, playlists (on youtube basis), blog, events, buddies
- private messaging
- following a users activies
- see who visited your profile
- an activity wall (in our community per default everybody is seeing every activity of everyone, so the get in touch more easily - dating aspect)
- we have a big content section as well with articles, interviews etc.
I did some research and of course, experimented myself with most of the well known systems out there and decided to go for drupal for the following reasons:
- good core code
- good documentation
- active community
- performance is pretty good, if implemented correct
- most flexible
- most of the needed features are already available as plugins just need customization
- several big communities and newspapers already rely on drupal with no remorse
I decided against:
- joomla -> not flexible enough, too much overhead, too slow in big installations, to much hacking attacks
- wordpress -> same as joomla
- typo3 -> even less flexible as far as community features go
- forum software like phpbb, ipb, smf -> smf for example would be a good core imho, but nearly everything else would need to be build on top of it
Sorry about the title, there is a misspelling. I meant CMS not CRM, of course
30 freelancers are bidding on average €40/hour for this job
This is my job. I can do it. I'm ready to work now. ======================================================================================================================================================