The aim of this project is to make a site for people to easily upload interactive Java crosswords from their computer so other people can solve them, with options to automatically mark answers and collect scores and solver details. For example a teacher should be able to upload a puzzle, send her class the URL of the puzzle, the students can solve and Submit the puzzle, then teacher can review results.
My Windows software will send the puzzle and user information to your site via an HTTP POST (see [url removed, login to view]). I supply the applet software. Applet sends solutions to scritps also via HTTP post.
Each user can have multiple puzzles. The site will be used by the following people: 1. Site Admin; 2. Licensed crossword constructors ('users'); 3. Demo crossword constructors; 4. Crossword solvers.
- Upload script to take .xml puzzle file, optional printable file and licence info from HTTP POST, check licence, show page for adding puzzle to the user's account in the site with customization options
- Demo upload option to take files as above display puzzle page which is automatically deleted after a couple of hours
- Public pages to display individual puzzles, plus (customizable) user portfolio page
- User admin page to show lists of puzzles, delete and edit page headers/footers, view results of puzzle solution submissions.
- Solver support for Save, Submit and Mark features (e.g. for marking puzzles automatically)
- Submit page to input solver name and email, puzzle solution, optional fields specified by user, save to database, feature for user to review submitted results.
- Site admin page to list users, numbers of puzzles, hits, etc.
- Puzzle files to be stored in file system, other data in MySQL database
- Help pages
- Solver page link to download .xml file and solve using program available on another page on the site (program supplied)
- Thoroughly test; communicate with applet developer to ensure consistency of applet save/submit/mark features.
Please state how you attempt to tackle project (e.g. modify what existing code or write from scratch) and provide examples of previous work - bids without provider rating or examples of previous work may be ignored. The project should be completed within 3 weeks to a high standard. Website design should be smart and clean, and work on Firefox, IE and Netscape.