• To create one app through QB SDK which will have following two functions:
1. To import transactions directly from EA (Our in house data entry software) to QB.
• Currently, our in-house software EA is optimized to integrate with another accounting software “ Access Dimensions” only. So, a small modification would be needed in EA, which will add one button named “Export to QB” which will ultimately trigger the custom created App (App created with QB SDK which will convert transactions to QB importable XML) to complete the task.
• The export from EA to QB should be done by creating an export file from EA in QB importable XML version. Newly created custom App in a background can create this files and import the same to QB.
• This app will also create one database, which will save the QBID of each exported transaction.
2. To attach supporting document images to transactions.
• The images can be attached by creating a database as mentioned in Development stage below.
• The retrieval of images can be done by integrating an App with file menu in QB and open up the attached images by detecting QBID of currently opened transaction.
• QB assigns unique transaction ID to each entered transaction which can be termed as QBID. That ID can be retrieved only through the app created with QB SDK.
• One separate database should be created which will save the following data:
# Unique Transaction ID of EA Unique QBID Path of supporting document (Links)
1 12345 45545 [url removed, login to view]
2 45235 43324 [url removed, login to view]
Other Table in Database will store the Path Lookup Config: It should be flexible enough to set multiple paths per company to lookup the "[url removed, login to view]" or "[url removed, login to view]" as mentioned in example above.
# - EA company Code - QB Company - QB Company Path - Image Lookup Path
1 - 42 - ABC LTD - U:/001/[url removed, login to view] - O:/Images/ABC;Y:/Archieve/Images/ABC
The Above table will also tell the App as to in which company file to export the data from EA.
• The Created Custom App will work as a bridge between QB and EA, which will create and maintain database in above-mentioned form.
• In QB, the trigger to launch the app should be created under file menu, which may have following options.
• QB File Menu
• Doc Manager (Custom App) 1. View Image
2. Attach Additional Document
• Open up the EA. Click on custom created button “Export to QB” which will export all the transactions under that section in EA to QuickBooks automatically by launching created app, which will ultimately do the job done by XML method mentioned above. (It will lookup in Above table from EA company Code - > QB Company to import to correct company)
• Once the transactions get exported from EA to QB through custom app automatically, the above-mentioned database would be created in the background by app automatically.
• Each exported transaction once recorded in QuickBooks communicates its unique QBID to our custom app. This will ultimately create the above-mentioned database.
• Once transaction gets exported and above database created, we can view the image from QB by following below steps;
• Open up one of the imported transaction in QuickBooks.
• Once transaction is open, click on File Menu -> Doc Manager -> view Image. (Shortcut Key can also be assigned.)
• Once we click view image, our custom app will retrieve the unique QBID of opened transaction. (Will automatically be done by App)
• It will then lookup for the retrieved QBID in the newly created database and will Open up the attached document from database. (Will automatically be done by App . It will look in above two tables - first table will give image name and other will give image path)
• The New additional Popup would appear if more than one images are attached to the particular transaction to open other images.