Please only do Task:the essay
Writing a Document-Based Essay
HISTORICAL CONTEXT Many Americans were troubled by the social
and economic changes of the early 1900s. Waves of immigrants brought
unfamiliar values and customs. Large bureaucratic corporations created a
complex, impersonal work culture. In response to these changes, people
drew inspiration from the dramatic successes of larger-than-life celebrity
heroes. The mass media of the 1920s fueled this trend. Movies, radio, and
newspapers, glorified the stars of the entertainment and sports worlds.
TASK Using information from the documents and your knowledge of
American history, write an essay in which you:
• Explain why celebrities and heroes became increasingly important to
Americans in the 1920s.
• Discuss how celebrities and heroes inspired Americans during that
Using the information from the documents provided and
your knowledge of American history, write a well-organized essay that
includes an introduction, a body of several paragraphs, and a conclusion. In
the body of the essay, use examples from at least four documents. Support
your response with relevant facts, examples, and details. Include additional
In your essay, be sure to:
• Address all aspects of the Task by accurately analyzing and
interpreting at least four documents.
• Incorporate information from the documents in the body of the essay.
• Incorporate relevant outside information.
• Support the theme with relevant facts, examples, and details.
• Use a logical and clear plan of organization.
• Introduce the theme by establishing a framework that is beyond a
simple statement of the Task or Historical Context.
• Conclude the essay with a summation of the theme.